A US court on Tuesday announced the indictment of Dr. Aafia Siddiqui for allegedly attacking US agents who went to interrogate her after she was arrested by local police in Afghanistan.
Dr. Aafia Siddiqui faces
1. One count of attempting to kill US nationals abroad;
2. One count of attempting to kill US officers and employees;
3. One count of armed assault of US officers and employees;
4. One count of using and carrying a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence; and
5. Three counts of assault of US officers and employees.
If convicted, Siddiqui faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison on each of the attempted murder and armed assault charges; life in prison on the firearm charge; and eight years in prison on each of the remaining assault charges
Interestingly the U.S. intelligence officials have told Pakistani officials in past weeks that there is coercive evidence in their possession linking the Pakistani scientist to terrorism and Al Qaeda, surprisingly no such charge has been brought against her
Daily Times also adds two possible reasons for this: “one that the prosecution is fairly confident that it can obtain a conviction without charging her with terrorism; and, two, that the prosecution does not want to disclose information that would have had to be made public were Siddiqui to be charged with terrorism.” - truly this is hogwash B.S